Home

Volunteers

Membership &
Contributions
Programs, Tours &
Services
Special Events

Madison Awards and Designations 

Quotes about Madison
Links to other Madison/Jefferson County sites

Historic Properties of
Historic Madison Inc

Jeremiah Sullivan House
Dr. Hutchings Office & Hospital
Costigan House
Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum
Windle Auditorium
St. Michael the Archangel Church 
A.M.E. Church
Talbott-Hyatt  Garden

©Historic Madison, Inc
500 West  St.
Madison, IN 47250
812-265-2967
E-Mail us!
hmi@historicmadisoninc.com

 


Historic Madison, Inc.
A local not for profit historic preservation organization founded in 1960
Enriching our community’s future by valuing its past.

Madison’s endurance since its founding in 1809 can be attributed to its location on the Ohio River. Beautifully nestled against the protective hills of Southern Indiana, this community flourished during the early heyday of the river. Settlers migrating from eastern seaboard states into the Old Northwest Territory resulted in Madison developing a large collection of important early architecture with the construction of thousands of homes, a large commercial district, and industrial facilities. Many survive today.

   In 1960 Mr. and Mrs. John T. Windle founded Historic Madison, Inc., a not for profit historic preservation organization. The organization has played a key role for the preservation, restoration, education and development of Madison’s 133 block historic district. John Windle believed that the past was prologue. He believed that Madison’s future rested in improving the physical assets already present. While other communities were modernizing and removing its history, Madison began to rebuild and improve its historic resources.

   Historic preservation has contributed to the overall economic and cultural development of the community. Madison’s historic district contains a rare intact collection of early 19th and 20th century architecture with the amenities and conveniences of a twenty-first century neighborhood. Historic Preservation and indeed, Heritage Tourism have been a major contributing factory in sustaining and moving this Indiana river town forward. The area beneath the hill along its beautiful riverfront consists of approximately 1500 historic residential, commercial and industrial structures.

   Today, under the leadership of John M. Stacier, Historic Madison, Inc. has made a huge impact in the city of Madison. The organization owns, operates and maintains 17 properties; four of the properties are open as museums and others are opened for special programs. The organization is an advocate for the preservation and sensitive development of the historic district. Although the National Park Service has already designated the city as a National Register Historic District, Historic Madison, Inc. is currently spearheading the nomination to designate the entire city historic district a National Historic Landmark District, the highest recognition an historic site can receive on a national level.

   Madison’s architecture has achieved the recognition of numerous architectural historians and preservationists across the country. Madison currently has two individually listed National Historic Landmark properties within the historic district which has focused increased attention on the significance of the city’s built environment. We hope you will enjoy this site.

Come for a Visit . . . Stay for a Lifetime!