Home

Volunteers

Membership &
Contributions
Programs, Tours &
Services
Special Events

Madison Awards and Designations 

Quotes about Madison
Links to other Madison/Jefferson County sites

Historic Properties of
Historic Madison Inc

Jeremiah Sullivan House
Dr. Hutchings Office & Hospital
Costigan House
Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum
Windle Auditorium
St. Michael the Archangel Church 
A.M.E. Church
Talbott-Hyatt  Garden

©Historic Madison, Inc
500 West  St.
Madison, IN 47250
812-265-2967
E-Mail us!
hmi@historicmadisoninc.com

 

St. Michael the Archangel Church
521 East Third Street
Madison National Register District
Madison, Indiana

 

The land for St. Michael the Archangel Church was donated by John McIntyre in two lots in 1837 and 1838. St. Michael Catholic Church, the second oldest surviving Catholic Church in Indiana, is an important architectural, historic, and artistic treasure of both Madison and Indiana. In its infancy, the church welcomed immigrants, particularly of Irish descent, who came to Madison to build the Madison-Indianapolis Railroad. It is said that the stones from the railroad “cuts” were used to construct the gothic style edifice.

The building is built of partially dressed stone. Windows on the east and west side have a pointed arch head with leaded stained glass. The windows on the south façade have metal hood moldings over the door and two windows. Above the main entrance a carved stone roundel replaces an earlier stained glass and lead rose window. An octagonal, wood-frame spire covered with copper rises on the stone tower base at the rear of the church. There are four hanging bells in the tower. The ceiling of the church has a double curve, sometimes referred to as an “open book” design.

Although it is uncertain who designed the church, the young Francis Costigan, architect and builder, a member of the pioneer parish, is considered by many to have been involved with the design and building of the church. Costigan would later design and build the residences of J.F.D. Lanier and Captain Charles Shrewsbury as well as other Madison buildings.

St. Michael served as a focal point for significant events in the life of the Catholic community. As a result of  the renewed Liturgy of Vatican II in the 1960s the local Catholic community moved to one church facility concept. With that came the decision of the Archdiocese and the local parish to discontinue use of St. Michael Church. Although no religious ceremonies can be held in the Church, the building continues to be used for cultural presentations and special events throughout the year. Yunker Endowment provides operational funding for St. Michael the Archangel Church.

The property is one of 17 historic properties owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc. a non-profit organization dedicated to education, promotion, and assistance in preservation and restoration of historic resources which protect our heritage and enhance the quality of life in Madison, Indiana. For additional information contact: Historic Madison, Inc. 500 West Street, Madison, Indiana 812-265-2967. hmi@historicmadisoninc.com